September 9, 2008

Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Bisque

With French influence, Vietnamese people also have bisques.

This is a vegetarian version I made with sweet potato, butternut squash (although kabocha squash is better), long beans, tofu, batata, carrots, (raw) peanuts, and peas.

For flavoring, I used curry powder, milk (because bisque needs to be creamy), ginger, and kaffir lime leaves.

I think cooking raw peanuts with pumpkin soups are very good. It is the special local way of cooking these kinds of soups from where I live in Vietnam. I remember, I was really suprise when my uncle said he'd never heard of cooking peanuts with pumpkins. I thought it was a common thing to do.

Anyway, with the peanuts, you have to roughly ground it up in a mortar and pestle or a machine. This infuses the peanut flavor into the soup more, as opposed to leaving them whole. I had the bisque with some seeded bread and a sourdough toast, but a french baguette would be just as good!

p.s. Cooking this bisque with cream, creamed corn, and or coconut milk would definitely be extra delicious... But I'm making it the healthy way!

No comments: