August 15, 2008

Roast Chicken

For some reason, I like to roast chicken in pieces, rather than keeping it whole. I guess it's easier for me to handle, in turning, glazing, and crispening it up. You gotta chop it up in pieces anyway, right? My family never does the fancy carving thing at the table. Just pile it on a plate, and every one can eat without wait of carving.

I think this one came out much better than last time I did it. Ooh! I used a hoisin sauce glaze. Mmm Chinese BBQ sauce. The marinate was basically juiced ginger, garlic, pepper, fish sauce, dark soy sauce (for some color), sugar, 5 spice powder and sesame oil. It's best to marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge.

Covering the chicken with a piece of aluminum foil ("tenting" it) during the roasting also traps in the steam, to cook it more quickly and not to let the meat dry out. When it's done cooking, just remove the foil and spoon out all the juices from the chicken. Turn on the broiler, and the skin will crispen up with the glaze. Watch out, don't burn it!

1 comment:

Kiwi said...

That looks DELICIOUS!

A good roast chicken is simple but sooo satisfying. Cutting it into pieces in advance is such a good idea - I always want to roast a chicken but can't handle the hassle of a whole one. Pieces is so much easier, and I totally agree on the crispiness thing :)