August 13, 2008

Drunken Pear Frangipane Tart

Pear Frangipane a classic French tart- combining pears and almonds together to create a beautiful, velvety texture. It is delicious with café au lait or a cup of tea.

Frangipane is basically an almond filling. I made it by grounding toasted almond slivers (from TJ's) in my spice grinder, cleaned out, of course.

This is the recipe that I used, from here. I made some changes, like using less cloves and also substituting orange juice and water for raspberry lager when poaching the pears. So I guess this is just a tizzy pear tart with the bit of rum, and not really a drunken pear tart.

One more change was adding orange zest to the poaching liquid to make it more aromatic. Gives the pear a very nice orangey hue.

This tart is very easy to do. You can either make your own (almond) sweet pie crust, buy a sweet pie crust, or even use puff pastry for a "lighter" tart. Overall, I liked it, but regretted not adding some lemon juice over the sliced pears to give it some zing. It's good with a scoop of honey ice cream!

No comments: